If you’ve battled blemishes – either through your younger years or as an adult – you know the struggle of finding a well-suited cleanser and moisturizer. So many products are designed for certain skin types or have harsh chemicals that can strip your skin of moisture it needs to look and feel its best. But, if blemishes are caused by the buildup of dead skin cells and oil in your pores, should you use olive oil on your skin? Great question! And here’s why olive oil is not only good for your skin, but can help prevent future blemishes.
Benefits Of Olive Oil
Olive oil, unlike oil that builds up on your skin, is filled with extremely healthy fatty acids. The oil is extracted from olives and it’s believed that about 24 % of the oil is saturated fats and omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids. Olive oil is good for your skin because:
- Olive oil contains Vitamins E and K
- Olive oil is loaded with antioxidants that help fight serious illness
- Olive oil has anti-inflammatory properties
- Olive oil has antibacterial properties
Using and consuming the right type of olive oil is important. To take advantage of all these health and skin benefits, make sure you’re using real, cold-pressed, extra virgin olive oil.
Does Olive Oil Treat Blemishes?
Olive oil has nutrients to help fight blemishes. The antioxidants, monounsaturated fats and antibacterial properties work together to help cleanse your skin of the dead skin cells and pore-clogging oils that cause blemishes. Extra virgin olive oil contains the bioactive compounds needed to treat blemish-prone skin and actually fight off infections in your skin.
Olive oil is also a great resource to help reduce the appearance of blemish scarring. The Vitamin E in a quality, extra virgin olive oil promotes circulation, increasing the speed of tissue regeneration to help heal blemish scars faster. Because the oil has such a low acidic content, there’s usually little to no skin irritation caused by olive oil.
How To Use Olive Oil To Treat Blemishes
Olive oil is loaded with food for your face ingredients that fight free radicals and prevent blemishes. Here are some great ways to clear your skin using all the nutrients olive oil contains.
- Exfoliate: Achieve smooth, clear skin using our Face Polish. Mineral Sea Salt gently exfoliates the skin while our cleansing oil blend pulls impurities to the surface without any harsh stripping.
- Cleanser: Our Cleansing Oil rids your pores of dirt and bacteria by using olive oil to dissolve the dirty gunk while nourishing your skin with a natural blend of antioxidants, vitamins, omegas and amino acids.
- Anti-inflammatory mask: Remove excess skin and treat blemish scars with a mask made of one tablespoon high quality extra virgin olive oil, (ex: Texas Olive Ranch) and one tablespoon of baking soda. Apply to your skin and let dry for about 10 minutes before removing with a warm, damp cloth.
- Massage: Your skin needs a relaxing treatment to restore skin cells and hydration. Massage Olive + M’s Face Oil into your skin for one to two minutes for a hydrated glow.
Olive oil offers great healing properties, which is why Olive + M products are based with this natural plant based oil. Your skin care routine should represent the natural beauty inside. It’s not necessary to lather your skin in chemicals – use what is proven to work and watch as your skin transforms into what it is meant to be.