6 Summer Superfoods That Double As Skincare Saviors
Did you know some of the juiciest, most nutritious foods you indulge in during the summer months also have anti-aging properties that can treat and protect your skin? Like the strawberry-banana smoothie that kick starts your day, or how about the kale side salad you have with lunch – they pull double duty and can easily be incorporated into your beauty routine for healthier skin and hair. So, before you toss your leftover produce, check out the benefits of these summer superfoods.
- Tomato: Aside from being the perfect addition to any summer salad, tomatoes are loaded with nutrients that heal your skin. Whether you count it as a fruit or a veggie, tomatoes can reduce the appearance of pores, treat sunburn, smooth out wrinkles and remove dark under eye circles. Use this purifying mask recipe for a summer glow.
- Olive oil: Olive oil makes a delicious veggie stir-fry, but it can also help eliminate your wrinkles. This natural oil boosts your skin’s hydration from the inside out, so whether you use it while cooking or apply it topically, you’ll smooth out wrinkles and prevent oxidative damage to your skin.
- Green tea: Sipping green tea not only gives you an energy burst, it also allows you to treat swollen, puffy eyes. Brewed green tea bags can be used to tighten the skin around your eyes while reducing dark circles and puffiness by shrinking blood vessels.
- Banana: Starting your day with a banana – in a smoothie or straight from the peel – will load your body with fiber, helping you feel fuller longer. When it comes to skin, this fruit will restore your natural glow and moisture. Mix it with raw honey to create this DIY face mask. Plus, the natural oils, potassium, and other properties help heal dry hair and return shine and elasticity back to your strands. This hair mask uses ingredients straight from your kitchen.
- Zucchini: Grilling this summer squash is the perfect snack, but be sure to save one to turn into a skin treatment. Use two tablespoons grated zucchini and one tablespoon oatmeal flour to create a paste. Apply it to clean skin and you’ll fight wrinkles, sun damage, and help in the production of collagen to boost skin elasticity.
- Bell peppers: If given the choice – go with red! Red bell peppers are great for your skin, hair, and health. The Vitamin C in this veggie will help clear up blemishes and has very few calories. Increase your hair growth with red bell peppers. Boil a few slices of the veggie, let the water cool, then apply it to your scalp for 30 minutes and rinse away. The spiciness in the pepper stimulates your scalp and increases growth speed.
The colorful fruits and veggies that fill your plate are good for more than a summer cookout. Remember to grab a few extra tomatoes, bananas, and bell peppers next time you’re at the supermarket. Start with a clean face and use our tips to carry your summer glow well into fall.