Can I Mix Essential Oils With Olive Oil?
Essential oils have been used around the world for centuries for different healing techniques, but these concentrated oils emerged with a boom over the past decade. Essential oils are a concentrated version of a plant, achieved through a distillation process using water or steam. Different parts of the plant are used including the roots, leaves, stems, flowers, or bark.
In order to use essential oils safely on your skin, they must be diluted with a carrier oil, or base oil. Olive oil is one of the most popular and beneficial carrier oils. Because olive oil offers so many benefits for your skin, it’s the perfect way to try different essential oils.
How To Use Olive Oil As The Base
A larger amount of the olive oil – serving as the carrier oil – should be used compared to your choice of essential oil to dilute the mixture properly. When olive oil is used as the base, you benefit from a number of skin-healing properties:
- Vitamin A: Has retinol to support reducing lines and wrinkles
- Vitamin D: Supports new skin growth
- Vitamin K: Color correction evens skin tone, reduces dark circles, redness, and acne scars
- Vitamin E: Improves dry skin and protects against sun damage
To use olive oil as a base for an essential oil mix, use 2-4 drops (depending on the concentration and potency of the essential oil) of essential oil to one tablespoon of olive oil. Keep your essential oil blends in a dark glass bottle, and store in a cool, dark place to keep your blends fresh.
Essential Oil Blends and Uses
Essential oils can be used in a number of ways. From mixing them with your favorite carrier oil, to cleaning your home, these oils have a variety of uses. Here are a few of our favorite ways to use essential oils:
- Aromatherapy Sleep Mist: Add 5 drops of lavender essential oil, 2-3 drops of sandalwood essential oil and 2-3 drops of lime oil to a glass spray bottle. Top with purified or distilled water and shake well. Spray on your sheets and pillows or use as an aromatherapy room mist before going to sleep.
- Massage: For a massage oil, use 3-5 drops of a relaxing or stress-relieving essential oil, we recommend lavender, bergamot or cedarwood essential oils, and add to 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Muscle soreness: Depending on the issue you want to treat – soreness and inflammation are the most common – your mixture may change. We recommend mixing 20-30 drops of essential oils into 1/4 cup of carrier oil. Create your own relaxing and pain relieving blend by choosing from some of our favorite muscle benefitting essential oils: peppermint, wintergreen, lavender, rosemary, lemongrass, clove, frankincense, and chamomile.
- Baths: Blend 5-10 drops of a relaxing essential oil (try lavender, rose, or chamomile) into 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the oil mixture into your warm bath water.
- All Purpose Cleaner: mix 1 cup of white vinegar and 1 cup of purified or distilled water with 10-15 drops of lavender essential oil and 20-30 drops of lemon essential oil. Shake well and store in a glass spray bottle. To make the mixture last longer, keep out of direct sunlight and away from high temperatures.
When you use olive oil on your face, remember that quality matters. A pure, cold-pressed, non-GMO olive oil will deliver the best results without any added impurities.