Is Olive Oil Good for Your Skin Part 2
A while ago we discussed the benefits of olive oil and how it affects your skin. Today, we’re going to take a deeper dive into nature’s liquid gold and find out more history of that little olive along with even more reasons you should be slathering all over your skin.
Olive oil is made up of about 24% saturated fats, omega-6 and omega -3 fatty acids. The remaining 76% is a monounsaturated fat called oleic acid or omega 9 fatty acid. Oleic acid has been shown to reduce blood pressure, increase fat burning to help with weight loss, and protect cells from free radical damage. Olive oil may even prevent type 2 Diabetes, reduce inflammation in the digestive tract and increases brain myelin, the fatty tissue that surrounds nerve cells and is essential for proper functioning of the nervous system. Olive oil is also packed with powerful polyphenol antioxidant properties. The most notable polyphenol found in olive oil is Hydroxytryrosol, which has been called the most powerful antioxidant discovered on the planet. This little powerhouse is being praised for its anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antioxidant and cardiovascular benefits. It is clear that ingesting olive oil has brilliant health benefits for the body, so now let’s explore the topical benefits of this “liquid gold.”
Used in the hair, olive oil can bring moisture back to dry, overtreated and lackluster locks. Use it in a hot oil deep conditioning treatment, or simply add a few drops in the palm of your hands and distributed throughout the hair to smooth rough ends and give hair a brilliant shine. Or, massage olive oil directly into the scalp to help remove built up sebum, stimulate circulation of hair follicles, and rid hair of dandruff. And guess what? If it can do this to the hair on your head, it can also do it to your lashes and brows!
Keeping the cuticles soft on your hands and your feet is important, because cracked and split cuticles can allow bacteria and fungus to get under the nail. This is a stubborn fungus to get rid of, so best to use olive oil to keep this at bay! Here are those awesome antioxidants hard at work again with their anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Especially Vitamin E, which promotes nail growth as well.
Now that you know the history, the structure, and the benefits of olive oil, we only have one question: what are you waiting for?? Start using that liquid gold today!